Se Habla Español 305-377-8828

FAQs about Employment Law in Florida

Clear up your concerns about Florida employment law

To get your legal questions answered, schedule an initial consultation with a dedicated Florida employment lawyer and mediator. Contact the Law Offices of Ena T. Diaz, P.A.

How do I file a workplace discrimination complaint?

Depending on the precise nature of the discrimination, you may file your complaint with the Florida Commission on Human Relations , the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), or both. Your claim is investigated by the agency, and then you may proceed to a lawsuit in state or federal court. Miami attorney Ena T. Diaz helps you understand how to file your complaint and represents you in both the administrative process and in the courtroom.

When am I entitled to overtime pay?

Florida overtime pay is dictated by a combination of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and Florida state law. Hourly laborers in Florida are entitled to overtime pay, at a rate of one and a half times their regular pay, for working more than 40 hours in one week. However, many salaried professionals with certain job responsibilities are exempt from overtime pay . If you are unsure about whether you are entitled to overtime, contact the Law Offices of Ena T. Diaz, P.A.

How much may I win if I sue my employer?

This depends on the situation. The rule of law states that you are entitled to compensation which will make you whole, with the understanding that you would have been whole if not for the discrimination. Settlements and directed verdicts may include awards of—

  • Back pay
  • Compensatory damages
  • Promotion
  • Reinstatement
  • Front pay
  • Reasonable accommodation

Remedies for discrimination also may include payment of your legal costs. In certain cases, punitive damages may be allowed.

I own a business—can I afford to have an employment lawyer?

The legal needs of a business owner do not stop when the company is purchased or formed. Maintaining a labor force within the law is an ongoing process. When you are just getting started, you serve yourself well to form a trusting relationship with an experienced employment lawyer. Take a positive step toward success and schedule an initial consultation with Miami attorney Ena T. Diaz.

Contact Us Today

Ena T. Diaz, P.A. is located in Miami, Florida and serves clients in Miami-Dade County, Broward County and Palm Beach County in the cities of Coral Gables, Brickell, Pinecrest, South Miami, Kendall, Key Biscayne, Doral, Miami Beach, Aventura, Hialeah, Miami Lakes, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Pembroke Pines, Davie, Dania, West Palm Beach and Boca Raton.